Summer 2011 LM 512 Books

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Online Article: "Requirements for Healthy Development of Adolescent Youth"

I found the above entitled article at the following URL:  http://www1.cyfernet.org/prog/teen/konopka.html.  The article was originaly published in ADOLESCENCE, Volume VIII Number 31, Fall 1973, pp. 1-26and there is a statement asking for placement of this citation when referring to the article.  When I read the article, I was reminded of the Human Development course that I took in the early 1990's when I was working on my first Master's degree.  The article contains a lot of psychological jargon making it difficult to read, and actually hard to follow at times.  I did like the statement by the author, Gisela Konopka, that adolescence is the transition from the dependency of childhood to the interdependence of adulthood.  The growth of all of us and the rates of maturity of all children vary depending on circumstance, and that blurs the lines of this age group.  This information correlates with interviewing students on their reading preferences - it varies with the individual.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the authors' statement about adolescence being the transition from dependency of childhood to the interdependence of adulthood as well. I do agree that circumstances are a HUGE factor in the maturity of children.

    ReplyDelete